Friday, September 11, 2009

Everybody's Workin for the Weekend

Given the fact both Phil and I teach on Saturday and Sunday, we usually do our weekend things on Thursday and Friday. And this "weekend" was great.

On Thursday, I went with Phil (or Tong Dee) to the farm where he teaches to hang out and help out. In the morning it was too hot to do any real work, so I hung out while Phil taught some past tense and some tongue-twisters, which they loved. Then we had some lunch where I learned to eat with my hands Burmese-style, quite challenging with regular rice as opposed to sticky rice. I would say I was halfway successful whereas Phil is approaching professional status.

Their pet beetle munchin on some sugar cane. Please check out the leash on the horn.
The next tomato crop
After lunch, we were able to help on the farm by turning an old compost pile and making a new one! We did this by using machetes to chop piles of old rice stalks and some water plants into small pieces and alternating layers. It was a great way to put in some hard work, and the resulting blisters on my hands proved that this English teaching gig is turning me into a softie.

takin rice-straw to the house
Phil's students liked the "music" he made with his knife
layering and piling
After the compost was piled and the vegetables progress was inspected and the cows were pet, we went and spent the night with Phil's host family. I'm not sure what else to call them even though they are turning into my host family too. We brought some dinner and then spent the evening playing with Pop, who is becoming quite an accomplished walker as well as dancer.
the farm- so sabai
Phil, Pop, and Poh Thai
The next day, Phil and I went to the market and helped out with some chores before making Kao mon Gai, which translated literally is Chicken with Rice in Oil, and is SO delicious. It's boiled and chopped chicken served over rice that is specially prepared with ginger and garlic and then served with broth and a really spicy chili-ginger sauce. I think I've got the recipe down and will try and re-create it when I get back but it is truly delicious. The secret to the special delicious rice, as I discovered this time, is to mix the dried rice with garlic and ginger, and then stir fry it for about ten minutes before steaming it. It really makes it something special- a little tip for you all making Thai food at home...

Our hard work pays off: kao mon gai, complete with chicken blood (the dark meat in the bowl) and cucumbers sliced to perfection
Me and Pi Poi, after our hard work
Well, that's about it for our days off in the countryside. Now back to Chiang Mai for some more 'Ainglish teachin'- which will probably be the subject of the next entry. Hope all is well with you readers!

3 comments:

  1. Your smiling face is sunshine for my soul.
    Thanks for the updates. Greetings to Tong Dee.
    What's your Thai name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marco! And thanks for reading. My Thai name is Nam, or Nong Nam as they call me at the family's house. Nong means little sister, Nam means water because of the color of my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We so look forward to the updates on your blog. You and Phil look healthy, fresh and relaxed! You are living everyone's dream! Take care!
    Love Aunt M and Uncle J

    ReplyDelete